Snakes in India – Angels in disguise

By Mamta Naidu
May 16th, 2014
1 Comment

The thought of snakes, so much as the remote sound of it gives most people the creeps. Reactions will range from eww, oh my god, creepy, slimy, dangerous, to kill it!

Ever since I could spell cobra in school, I have been an ardent snake lover, much to my mother’s chagrin. Even as a kid, I thought snakes were mysterious and alluring. And my mother, who dragged me to the anthills every Nag Panchami – often mistaken for snake burrows, only heightened my fascination for these beautiful creatures.

Portrayal of snakes 

Having said that, I understand it is not easy to dispel the fear and myths surrounding these innocent creatures completely. Further, the portrayal of snakes as the representation of evil in several mythologies, fairy tales, Hollywood and holy books has only added to the misunderstanding. Understanding the importance of the role that snakes play in balancing the ecosystem is the first step towards resolving the conflict between human and snakes.


Snakes in India do form a vital part of our ecosystem and their presence or absence from an area affects the ecosystem directly and in a big way. They are indeed angels in disguise! You may picket in front of my house for uttering this statement. But take heart!

The greatest pest controllers

Snakes are our friendly neighbours, for they are the greatest pest controllers. They feed on rodents and help us by keeping some of the dreadful diseases at bay. Also help farmers by protecting the crops from rodents. They feed on amphibians, insects, mammals and other reptiles, which keeps their population growth in check. And some predatory birds feed on snakes for their survival as well. Needless to say, the importance of birds in maintaining the ecological balance is paramount.

Some snakes always live closer to human habitats. As human population continues to rise, we are expanding our cities, towns and villages; resulting in our encroachment of the territories belonging to other wild species. When these animal species are accommodating and tolerating us in their space, we at the least should learn to coexist with them. We don’t go about killing people we think are harmful or dangerous to the society, so why snakes?

Snake venom

You will be happy to know that snakes are shy animals, they avoid contact with humans as a principle. The good news is approximately 80% of the snakes found in India are non-venomous. The remaining 20% have no intentions of wasting their venom on humans even if they come in contact with them. Snake venom is modified saliva; it is also a digestive juice that is essential for their survival. As opposed to the popular belief, they are not vindictive and they strike in defence only when they feel threatened.

Recently, the Snake God did bless me. I got an opportunity to learn more about snakes from renowned herpetologists like Romulus Whitaker, Gerry Martin and Nirmal Kulkarni. I had an opportunity to be a part of rescue and release of the longest venomous snake in the world, King Cobra in Agumbe, Karnataka. It was the smoothest operation I have ever experienced.

King Cobra 

When you look into the eyes of a King Cobra you will realize why he deserves the respect he gets. He just gapped at me for a long time in a calm and composed manner and slithered away softly when he realized that the gaping activity didn’t yield any interesting results! Although King Cobras are the most feared snakes and have the reputation of being aggressive, they are reluctant to display any aggression unless provoked or harmed.


Wrote this for Caleidoscope here.


Also Read How to Coexist with Snakes…



One Response to “Snakes in India – Angels in disguise”

  1. […] I urge everyone who’s afraid of snakes or don’t think much of them to read this article: […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

facebook comments:

%d bloggers like this: